View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 14, 2006, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Wow! I'm really surprised by these defensive responses! I was hoping for something more thoughtful and constructive.

Perhaps I didn't give enough detail... this was a classic case of where the game starts out very ordinarily... and the players test the officials, as they sometimes do, to see what they'll call and won't call. The game became more and more aggressive as it went on, and by the third quarter most of the players were frustrated by the no calls and decided "Well, if he can get away with it, then I'll do the same thing." I actually stayed and watched the game after mine, which had the same officials, and saw exactly the same thing happen.

The more I think about it (and if the responses here are any indication of how difficult it would have been to do ANYTHING about during the game), I think I should have just called the game off. I know this is extreme, but in my 10 years of coaching, I've never seen anything like this happen. I feel lucky none of my kids were seriously injured. (We won the game, by the way, but I feel terrible about putting my kids into a situation like that. It wasn't fun for anyone.)