View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 12:30pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by johnfox
you should never have to tell a coach why they got the "t". if they are raising heck, stay away from them and have your partner go tell them they lost their coaching box.
John,

Have you ever experienced a coach getting a T and then asking what he did to deserve it?
Have you ever experienced a coach asking what a player did to deserve a T and then come back and say the player didn't do what you said he did?
I agree, we shouldn't have to tell a coach. Unfortunately, I know that isn't the case in Arizona, Nevada, Maryland and DC. If I'm working a game in a conference with the seatbelt rule, my opinion is the appropriate person in my crew should tell the coach he/she must be seated, at a distance of at least 8 feet, and then show them the backside. In the league I work in where there isn't a seatbelt rule I don't think a non-calling official should say anything to the coach. Oh, in either situation I think, "coach he/she will be over in a few minutes and they can tell you" is appropriate. Nobody can explain why I give a T except me. If someone was to tell me they didn't think any answer is in order, I would readily agree with that. Although this is always my point of view, I will admit to being jaded this week due to a couple of crews I would call soft.

Being a guilty party and being a work in progress, I would hope we can focus on the basketball aspect of our opinions. We cannot accurately convey tone and delivery through typed words. We are already a different crowd just because we have the desire to do this anyway; there are a lot of strong personalities here.