Quote:
Originally posted by Nate1224hoops
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

I don't care if a coach quietly asks me to watch a player.

If I think he's full of crap I'll just smile, tell him sure thing, thanks.

If it's something I've been letting go I'll tell him everyone's doing it (that's why I've been letting it go of course).
I have to disagree with you on that statement. Some coaches, not many are just trying to coach. There are team that do try to use every trick in the book to get an advantage. I always tell the coach, I will keep an eye out of it.
What don't you agree with? My first statement is the same as yours (OK coach, thanks = I'll keep an eye out for it).

If you mean this:

====
If it's something I've been letting go I'll tell him everyone's doing it (that's why I've been letting it go of course).
====

Why would you tell a coach you'll "keep an eye out for it" when you've already seen it happen & passed on it and know you'll likely see it again soon and pass on it again? Although I think the term is over used, this type of thing will destroy your credibility IMO.

I'll play coach/devils advocate here. You say, " I saw what your talking about coach and everyone on the floor is doing it." Coach says, "is it not a foul/violation no matter who does it." UHHH...

If the dicussion is about holding, then the answer is yes. You should be blowing the whistle everytime you see it. Your response of "everyones doing it(therefore I am not calling it on anyone) will cause you to lose crediablility faster than if you were calling every hold.
It should be called every time we ascertain that there's an advantage/disadvantage involved. Not every time we see something. That's how those JV games I see with 60 fouls are called.
That what this whole thread has come down to (again)--advantage vs. disadvantage. Last time I recall a lengthy discussion on this, most of the 'experienced' refs agreed that in their area(s), you couldn't advance unless you knew how to properly apply it.