View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 29, 2001, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
I run an intramural basketball league with 14 teams for a high school in Erie, Pa. With very few exceptions, and this one isn't covered, we follow PIAA rules, which are NFHS.

I have a team that has told me, and I would expect that they will do this, knowing the students on the team, that they plan to play several games as a joke. One was to have one arm taped to their body (or if that wasn't allowed, inside their shirt), and another game was to basically allow the other team to score as many points as they possibly could in the time for the game.

I don't believe there is anything in the book about this kind of action or behavior. At least not specifically, unless it falls under unsportsmanlike conduct. This particular team is picky about the rules (even though they don't seem to know them ), so I would like to have a legitimate foot to stand on as a ref, or to direct my student refs as to what they should do if this situation actually presents itself.

Any suggestions?

(I could always, as the league director, just forfeit the game if they do this, but I am hesitant to do it - I'm also hesitant to sit through either of these, since either game would just be a joke.)

Thanks in advance for your replies. I hope this didn't sound to ridiculous!