View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 03:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra

That is perhaps the most naive statement I have ever read.

Some coaches perceive ALL calls as personal, and a technical is like saying something about their mother.

It will NEVER be looked at as just another call.

Factor in that on violations you lose the ball, on fouls you might shoot free throws, but on intentional and technical fouls they shoot and get the ball back.

The very penalty within the rules set it apart from "just another call".
I realize you think it is naive to you. I have been officiating for 10 years in 3 sports (you could include softball for a 2 year period to make that 4 sports). What I have learned is when you treat an unsportsmanlike violation as such a major event, they coaches treat the calls as a major event. When you treat it as another call, they treat it as another call. In basketball we go away from coaches when we have been going to them all game long (at least in 3 man mechanic). I know when I have worked a wing in football and I throw an unsportsmanlike flag, I am not going to the other side of the field because I penalize the coach or a player. In many cases I have to stand there and deal with deal with their attitude and the coaches either adjust or they go home. 99% of the time they get over themselves and they stay in the game. I think coaches go on and on in basketball because we run from them when we have every right to stand up to them. I am primarily talking about HS coaches not other levels as well. College coaches in my experience deal with situations differently because the coaching is their livelihood. They know if they are not around and they lose they might not have a job at the end of the season if those loses add up.

Now I have not thrown out a basketball coach in about 8 or 9 years. I have not had to. I also do not run from them when I give a T (which is very rare for me too) and I talk to them when they are upset. I will not say that coaches have not gotten very upset, but I do not run from them or act as if they need to be "handled" to accomplish good sportsmanship. I have also been taught by many bigger time officials at camps to treat a T as any other call. That is something I have done from very early in my career and has worked for me very well ever since. I guess to each his own.

Peace