View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 03:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
I need some tips on keeping consistency, that's my greatest trouble right now, often, I manage to keep consistence with my partner, but I reffed 3 games with a partner that has a very special style (both he and his mentor agrees it)
He calls about 20 fouls first qtr, 10 second, then he falls asleep, he stops calling (almost), he calls the mega fouls, but he doesn't take the ordinary calls, and when he started doing that, I did that too :=O I tried to get a little more grasp of the game by calling a lot, and ended up with two upset coaches (rightfully), I got lucky thought, the one arranging this cup (we were reffing in a cup) who is also my mentor and coach (both as player and ref) came forward and explained
1. We were both quite inconsitence, and all I did was acctually trying to regain control of the game (with my partner thinking I was to hard *sighs*)
2. I'm a new ref (soon 2 years exp), I'm good for being new, but I lack a lot of excperience, and I havn't got the consistency right
3. He told them "there's 20 points between your teams, you know how little these players score in a game (there were girls, Girls-93), you arn't getting this close no matter who calls it, so stop whining and let the poor guy do his job, and you can do yours, and your players can have fun

He saved my day a lot, later I got a partner insted that, she's good, doens't call T's and such (simply havn't got the guts) but for these games with new players, she's perfect, we worked well with mechanics, knew when to call and what, made consistent games, and got a lot of credit from coaches and other refs, that was really fun, to bad I didn't manage to keep it with another partner

argh, I forgot to come to the point and my point is;
How do you do to keep consitency of calls through games? I call fouls erly to show them where the bar is laid, but then? What if you look at the stats and see one team has a lot more fouls then the other, and you need to change it. How do you apply that smoothly? is there anything more then excperience that can help me learn this, or is it just calling and learning with time?

Sorry for the long post, typical me (long and weird)