View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 11, 2006, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

I want to think that the same thing that I would call in Q1 gets called with 10 seconds left in a 1 point game in Q4. But the games do change and I am only human I can't say that the situation doesnt creep into my split second judgment under those situations. The pressure to "really make sure it is the right call" is for me what might lead me to pass on a call. I try to call it the same, but we arent robots. I dont consciously loosen it up.

Frankly, I am more likely to consiously loosen it up at the end of a 30 point blow out to get the kids off the floor. In a tight one I am trying to be consistent and focusing on it, in a blow out I am intentionally passing on crap I might otherwise call.

So if you are asking do I intentionally loosen up, my answer is not in tight ones. And the funny thing is that for me it is exactly the opposite situation that makes me "just let them play."

That said, and back to the issue, I think the best thing is during a time out to get with your partner and reaffirm your calling philosophy that you went over in the pregame and have a quick chat about what is and isnt an intentional foul so your whistles are the same at the end.