Thread: coaches
View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 11, 2006, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CaliOne
I'm a 5 yr high school referee and am still learning. This year I am working on management of coaches and players on the court. What I've learned so far is that coaches are going to make comments. I think its ok to let them vent to you when you are running by. Sometimes a response is warrented, sometimes not. IF coaches' comments are rude and loud enough for others to hear, you should probably address it with a warning at least. Warnings early on, if warrented, prevent problems from building up later in the game. Let me know what you all think about this way of dealing with coaches.
What a coincidence - I was a 5 yr high school student and I'm still learning as well.

You're probably on the right track, but let me throw in a couple of comments, fwiw. First, people skills are important. How you communicate with coaches goes a long way in how they communicate with you. I usually don't address "comments". Questions are fine, as long as they are addressed in a respectful manner, and I have the time and ability to answer them. If a coach starts yelling their questions, see if you can get next to them and talk to them in a calm, quiet voice, so they start to talk quieter as well. Answer their questions truthfully; if you missed a call, admit it. (Do NOT do that too often, however. )

Your one comment that bothered me a little was warnings (plural) early on prevent problems later in the game. I think there should be really only one warning. Try to talk a coach out of getting stupid, but if that doesn't work, give them the "stop sign" warning. If they continue with the same behavior, give them the T. Don't give them multiple warnings; that just shows you don't have the guts to actually give them the T when they deserve it.

Godd luck, and keep working at it.

(Used with permission.)