View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

How to handle bench clearing situations.

This weekend I had a game where there were words exchanged on the court between two players and then one shoved the other and before I knew it coaches and players from the bench were on the court. I backed away from the group and tried my best to get the players that came off the bench. It was total chaos! I was standing next to the bench and remembering numbers of players that were coming back to the bench. Then I realized that the players that were originally on the floor were coming back with the bench players. I was having trouble remembering the numbers anyway in all the chaos.

Does anyone have advice on how to handle this situation so that we can penalize the right players. A friend of mine had the suggestion to find out who is still on the bench and then you can deduce the bench players that left the bench during a fight. Would it also help to keep a pen in your pocket and write down numbers on your palm or paper. Should I go to the table and grab a pen and paper from them? This whole situation started and finished in less than 30 seconds.

What if I get the players from the White team and my partners don't get anyone from the other team? This isn't fair to penalize one team and not the other just because we didn't do our job on the other side.

I want to be as prepared as possible the next time this happens.