View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 06, 2006, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Tommy (may I call you Tommy? ), I think for the most part, we agree. I have worked with officials that call everything, anywhere on the court. And more often than not, they're wrong. That's why the system is in place, that's why there are well-defined areas of coverage - we are more apt to get it right when we stay within the system.

However, (you knew that was coming), in this particular play, there were 10 sec. left in the game, it was a 2 point game, this was a fast-break transition, and the team that was behind lost possesion because of this play. In this case, I'm not advocating ball-watching, but I do think all three officials need to make sure they are aware of everything going on. What's your answer to A's coach when he comes up to the crew after the game and he asks, "How can THREE officials not see something that happened in the open court?". I know the wrong answer would be, "It's not my area, coach". Again, in this case I don't think our credibility went up because one of our partners missed a call, and the other two "did their job" by "staying in their area".

I think that's why jbduke asked the question - I'm going to assume they know if this play happens in the second quarter, it's the C's call to live and die with, the C was in the wrong position, and the T and L have other players to watch. However, in this case, with the game on the line, I would rather the correct call come from someone else, rather than just letting it go in the name of "staying in your area". This would be one of those exceptions to the rule.

(Used with permission.)