View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun

Z, I'm with you on this one. This is what comes to mind:

1. Some officials will always find a reason to look all over the court.
2. Constantly talking about getting the play right, no matter who calls it, is a clear indication that officials are ball-watching. This statement is one that enables this practice instead of talking about the proper mechanics. Which one will help the next time?
3. I'm really beginning to wonder about some - not all - officials actual experience with 3-person mechanics. There are proper mechanics! Where is the lengthy discussion about that?

No matter which direction I'm looking, my vision doesn't stop at some artificial boundary. I may not focus outside of it but I'm not automatically blind beyond that line. If I'm covering guys in the paint and see an obvious mugging beyond my area (and partner was not in position to see it), I'm not doing my job if I don't go get it. Pay attention to the big time refs...while they don't ofter go out of their area, they will do it when there is something big to be called. They pay us to work the game, not play keep out of my sandbox. My goal is not to execute perfect mechanics at the expense of missing a big play but to, first, work the game. This sometimes requires stepping of of the box.

[Edited by Camron Rust on Jan 5th, 2006 at 09:00 PM]