Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Daddy
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Daddy

Reviewing exact wording the book says simply continuously guarded by any opponent who is within 6 feet of the player who is holding or dribbling the ball.

Step further question. The count ends when the offense "beats" the defender by "getting their head and shoulders past the defender".

Say your burning some clock. Guards are moving parallel with division line but close to a team really wanting the ball.

Is "head and shoulders" realitive to
1) the basket?
2) the direction of the player?
Ref Daddy,
Where do I find the written "head and shoulders" reference?
Thanks.
mick

2004 POE:
1. Closely guarded. Well-officiated closely-guarded situations provide for better balance between offense and defense. When the closely guarded rules are not followed, there is a significant advantage for the offense. The following four areas are to be emphasized:

A. When to start. A closely guarded situation occurs when a player in control of the ball in his or her team's front court, is guarded by an opponent who is within six feet of that player who is holding or dribbling the ball. It should also be emphasized that the defensive player must obtain a legal guarding position.

A player shall not hold the ball for five seconds or dribble the ball for five seconds while closely guarded in his or her front court. A player can legally hold the ball while closely guarded for four seconds, dribble the ball for four seconds and hold the ball again for four seconds before violating.

B. When to stop. A closely-guarded count ends when no defensive player is within six feet. The count also stops when a closely guarded player (a) completes a dribble anywhere in the team's own front court; (b) starts a dribble in the team's own frontcourt and ends it anywhere in the frontcourt (a new five-second count will start if the player holds the ball); (c) loses possession of the ball for any reason in the team's own frontcourt; or (d) has his or her dribble interrupted. If a closely-guarded player beats the defender(s) by getting head and shoulders past the defensive player, the count has ended.
I vaguely remember possible reading this somewhere but I am unable to located the above If a closely-guarded player beats the defender(s) by getting head and shoulders past the defensive player, the count has ended. in the books.

I do not have my 2004 books anymore, would you post the reference to where it can be found.