View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 03:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

This is the very reason sub-varsity games can be the hardest to deal with as an official. Most of the time the least experienced officials are working games that are technically the hardest games to work.

Chess, what you are experiencing is what many of us have to deal with. Usually varsity coaches are much more reserved and when they complain they do it in a way not to get a technical. If varsity coaches over-react, they will find themselves not being around very long. The problem with sub-varsity games they are dealing with officials that never punish them properly for their behavior. That is what happens at these games, you have to deal with coaches have little concept of boundaries (not different from children) of what is acceptable behavior and what is not acceptable.

What you should do is to continue to work hard and realize if you get better you will no longer have to work a lot of those games. I know folks like Z and other higher than mighty individuals will think this statement is out of line, but that is why many of us work hard so we can leave these games behind at some point. I personally still work the occasional lower level games, but I will not work a season worth for the very reason you are complaining about these coaches.

If you do what you are supposed to you will laugh back at this time in your career and some of those coaches will be at the varsity levels with you. Then you will see that what they did at one point of their career and how they have had to change. I had a veteran tell me this a long time ago and it holds true. Coaches, players and even fans change every year, the officials are the only thing that is constant. If you hang in there and follow the advice that Mick gave you, this will all pass and you will better be prepared to deal with these clowns (I mean coaches) that think the world is going to crumble because one call they do not understand is missed.

Peace