View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Seems to me that the basic misconception we have as officials is that we can "explain things" to a coach, or have a "good discussion" with a coach. While that can happen at times, the vast majority of the time, the coach doesn't want an explanation or a discussion, they just want us to make calls in their favor. Since we won't do that, there is an obvious conflict there...how many times have we had a coach ask one question, we answer it, and they immediately are off on some other tangent. They do not care what we say...they want us to call things in their favor.

So my best advice is to not let what a coach says or does bother you. They aren't yelling at you, they're yelling at your uniform...if they cross the line, deal with them appropriately. Never get into an arguement - you will always lose. Answer any polite question politely. Take all comments - positive or negative - the same way (don't listen to them).
Good point RR......example:
Coach: "that's backcourt"
Me: "no it's not, he jumped from frontcourt, caught the ball and threw it to #12"
Coach: "but he still touched the ball"
Me: "sigh"