View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chess Ref
I can't take them anymore. The coaches.

Screaming, crying, sniveling, lack of preparation,lack of self control, lack of perspective, no basic knowledge of the rules

As always suggestions and feedback are Needed and welcomed....
Welcome to the world of officiating. And you thought it would be easy money and instant gratification, right?

I think it's safe to say we've all been there. Now, I'm just speaking from personal experience, but one the growing phases I had to get through was having enough confidence in my abilities to take control of the game, and not let the coaches and players control it by their actions. You don't have to be a hard-a$$, but you do have to show you're in control of the game. I certainly understand the unwillingness to "rock the boat" by calling T's. However, that's part of becoming a better official. If you know you're getting (most) of the calls on the floor right, then now you need to start handling the other aspects. If coaches are actually "screaming, crying, and showing a lack of self-control", then they need to be penalized. You mentioned your coach management skills - do they include the stop sign and T? I've discovered that coaches do what you allow them to do; if you let them whine and snivel, that's what they will continue to do. If you step in and let them know whining and sniveling won't be tolerated, and follow through, it will cease to happen.

Coach management isn't always just talking to them whenever they say something to you. It's learning when to talk to them, when to ignore them, and when to penalize them. Keep working at it; you'll find things get a little easier as you let them get away with less.

And, btw, congrats on finding that cure for cancer.

(Used with permission.)