View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 10:30am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Nu1
I have not personally had to deal with this yet, but my partner did handle the exact situation in a game this year - JV boys.

Partner calls a foul - awards two shots. Kid says he didn't touch him. Partner explained he "saw" a foul...told him not to do it again or it would be T. Didn't happen the rest of the game.

So, in essence, he called a foul (as he "saw" it) to give the kid a break and not call a T. I have no problem with how he handled it. I would also have no problem with calling a T as an unsporting act...i.e. faking a hit / strike / punch...whatever you want to call it. (Not exactly the same, but perhaps similar, to how you would handle a situation where a player drew their fist back and faked a swing at someone.)

Interested to hear how others view it.
Please don't even think of ever throwing a ballplayer out of a game just for jabbing at a shooter. A strike/punch is a flagrant act, by definition, and you'd have to toss the defender if you called that. A call like that would be a career breaker. No contact = no foul. Jabbing at a shooter's midsection ain't even close to being an unsporting "T" either imo. Jabbing at their eyes....maybe. There's a heckuva difference though.

If the jab is at the shooter's midsection, I doubt very much that the shooter even noticed it if there was no contact. The shooter would be looking at the basket.

Over-officious imo, guys.