View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 03, 2006, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aepitaz Send a message via Yahoo to aepitaz
Officiating is possible even in software

I have been in the software industry for 10 years, it is possible to do both, but you need to be carefull.

First and foremost, you need to decide where you want to work. Some companies work flextime, others don't. Some have certain expected office hours and some don't.

When I was working my way up, I would often work the 6AM-2:30 PM shift so I could make an afternoon game. So long as my work was completed on time, it worked out OK. Once you have a full varsity HS schedule the time needs aren't as bad.

Depending where you are, college might present new travel restrictions that may require you to take peronsal or vacation time.

The most important thing to realize is that you are hired to do a job. Officiating might be important to you but it isn't to the company. If you do your job and officiating keeps you happy, then it will work out.

Some of the tips mentioned above make sense... put officiating on your resume but don't talk about the time needed directly. Feel out the ability to work from home, flextime or how work is measured (look for flexibility).