View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 01, 2006, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Camron,
I'm going to split your posts into two different concepts.

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Even though A1 should have been replaced, I believe A1 became a legal player once the ball became live...
It was this part of your reasoning that I didn't agree with
when I wrote above that A1 remains a player the entire time. 3-3-3 deals with substitutes becoming players, not players remaining players. It says, "If entry is not legal, the substitute becomes a player when the ball becomes live." My belief is that since A1 never was a substitute 3-3-3 doesn't apply to him at all.

Quote:
...and can no longer be forced to leave the game.
Quote:
But does A1 now have to leave the game after it is discovered that they hadn't left? The ball has become live since they were supposed to have been replaced. I think not.
This part of your thought process is worth investigating. A player who should have been directed to leave during a dead ball isn't. Should he still be directed to leave during the next dead ball or any subsequent one when the officials realize the mistake?

If the officials realize the mistake between the first and second FTs, do they have the authority BY RULE to direct the player to leave the game at this time?

It seems unclear to me right now.
I'll have to think about this and get back to you later.