Thread: Pre-Game Dunk
View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 01, 2006, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
I told him yes, I saw it and I may have ignored it if he would not have grabbed the rim. So of these kids go above the rim and throw the ball through which techically is dunking.

Quote:
Originally posted by CA BBall Ref
I don't believe throwing the ball down into the cylinder without touching rim a violation. However if they grasp/touch rim either on a dunk or just out of stupidity it will cost them.

I'll repeat to both of you what has been said in another recent thread. The definition of dunking has nothing at all to do with touching the ring.

RULE 4, SECTION 16 DUNKING
Dunking or stuffing is the driving, forcing, pushing or attempting to force a ball through the basket with the hand(s).

I advise using the definition to determine if it is a dunk or not rather than some made up criterion.

Quote:
Friday night, tourney finals in warm up's a player grasped the rim and another player yanked the net. The result was a T, the coach loosing his box, 5 points for the other team, 2 from the T shots and they opened with a 3 after the throw in to start the game.

Well at least you punished the team somehow, but I have to say that you missed a T here. There should have been a T on the player who yanked the net too.

10-3-4 . . . Grasp either basket during the time of the officials' jurisdiction, dunk or stuff, or attempt to dunk or stuff a dead ball prior to or during the game or during any intermission until jurisdiction of the officials has ended. This item applies to all team members.
EXCEPTION: A player may grasp the basket to prevent injury.
PENALTY: (Art. 4) For dunking or grasping during pregame or intermission, the foul is also charged indirectly to the head coach.

RULE1, SECTION 10 BASKET SIZE, MATERIAL
ART. 1 . . . Each basket shall consist of a single metal ring, 18 inches in inside diameter, its flange and braces, and a white-cord 12-mesh net, 15 to 18 inches in length, suspended from beneath the ring.

Quote:
When the coach was notified of the situation just before the tip his reaction was "Oh that's the way it is going to be, why don't you let the kids play, followed with my player denies that he touched the rim." More coaches are not teaching fundementals to their players and we as refs are not enforcing the required rules. It is not the easiest way to start a game by telling the coach this penalty and it will often make for a tough start. But as you know you never know who is watching. Always go get the easy stuff.
You're right. Some coaches don't want to discipline their players and then whine and moan when the officials come along and take care of business. After his poor reaction, I definitely would have charged BOTH Ts to his players and two indirects to him.

Good work to both of you guys for actually doing something about this. It is true that you never know who is watching.