View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 31, 2005, 12:17pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by afrothunda
I am going to be a college graduate soon and I am currently looking for a new job. Any suggestions about how I should let my employer know my dreams about becoming a referee at a higher level which could cause me to be out the of the office. Right now I work high school as well as small college basketball. I don't want to plan my career around officiating but I would like to be able to mesh the two if at all possible. Any advice would be appreciated.
Yeah, be self-employed.

Don't tell a prospective employer that you have plans to be out of the office working at a different job. You might try looking for a position where "being out of the office" is already a part of the job. Even then, if you get caught officiating when you should be working or you're not giving your new job your full attention, believe me, your new employer ain't gonna be too happy with you when he finds out. Employers want to know that the job that they're giving you is your #1 priority, not officiating. Jmo, but if you bring up anything at all about trying to fit officiating into the hours required to do your regular job, the first thing that you're gonna hear from your job interviewer is "Thank you, we'll be in touch". Get established in your new career first- before you even think of broaching the topic of time-off to officiate.

There are some jobs that are conducive to making up your own schedule. These include policeman, fireman, etc. Those are all worthy vocations too imo.

Good luck and best wishes to you, anyway, no matter what you do- in both your future job and your future officiating career.