View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 31, 2005, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by JCrow
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone. I watched the News this morning and was just grateful for my family's good fortune & health. The people in Oregon, Texas and Oklahoma are really hard hit with the flooding & fires. Between the hurricanes in Florida and La., the mud in Calf. and the drought in the southwest...2005 has been a tough year for many people, including our Service Men and Women and their loved ones. I'm pretty lucky to be able to be around basketball, work and play a little golf in the off-seasons.
Not to mention Indonesia and other small SE Asian countries, and Pakistan and their earthquake-devastated villages.

There are parts of Oregon that are in pretty bad shape, but they are spots, not areas. One thing about Portland that has always seemed rather fortuitous to me, is that some of the poorest sections of town are situated such that natural disaster isn't often a problem It seems to hit more middle class areas. Even things like electrical outages, often affect richer folk, and leave the working class neighborhoods alone. I suppose it wasn't planned this way, but it's a pleasant little piece of fortune.