View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 31, 2005, 05:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

...you cited 8-2 & 3-3-5.

Note the statements "MUST WITHDRAW" and "SHALL BE DIRECTED TO LEAVE THE GAME" in the cited rules. Those are definitive statements. No TO was requested either to keep the injured player in the game.

We disagree. [/B]
I think that we have to ask, "At the time the FT was attempted who was the designated free thrower?" My answer is A1. Why? No substitute for him had legally entered the game to take his place as the designated free thrower. I don't see how we can consider a team member who is sitting on the bench and not even legally in the game to be the correct "player" (2-10-1(3) does specify wrong player), despite the requirement of 3-3-5. Who else would qualify as the correct "player" at the time the FT was attempted? My answer is no one does.

I just cannot believe that permitting the player who actually was fouled to attempt the FT(s) awarded as the penalty for that foul could be considered a correctable error. This whole mess qualifies as an officials' mistake in the administration of the game. The rules cited above say "shall BE DIRECTED" and the officials never did this. So A1 was the right player at the time.