View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 31, 2005, 04:59am
Official Forum Member

Now in the interest of unearthing the truth for this situation, I am going to post a play ruling that could possibly be construed to support JR's ruling that this should be considered a case of the wrong player attempting a FT and indeed is a correctable error.

2005-06 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations
SITUATION 1: A1 is fouled by B1 late in the second quarter. It is a common foul and the seventh Team B foul. The bonus situation is not recognized by the scorer or the officiating crew, and the Team A coach substitutes A6 for A1. A6 is beckoned onto the floor and A1 goes to the team bench. The scorer recognizes the error and sounds the horn (a) just before or (b) just after the administering official hands the ball to A2 for a throw-in. RULING: This is a correctable-error situation and falls within the proper timeframe for a correction. In both (a) and (b), A6 leaves the game with A1 re-entering to shoot the bonus free throw. Play is resumed as after any free-throw attempt(s). If the second free throw is successful and the coach desires, A6 may re-enter the contest. (2-10-1a; 2-10-6)

However, in my opinion, this interpretation is lacking in certain key factors.
1. A6 never attempted a FT in this play. The merited FT for the bonus situation was never attempted at all. That is the correctable error here. A far more interesting interpretation would be one in which A6 erroneously enters and attempts the FTs.
2. The officials must allow A1 back into the game despite 3-3-4 because the requirements of 8-2 are more important. The substitution should not have been allowed per 3-3-2, that fact that is was is simply an officials' mistake that is easily fixed. The fact that the NFHS ruled in this manner lends support to my ruling in the previous post that the requirements of 8-2 trump those in 3-3.
3. Due to the fact that A1 did not have to withdraw due to injury or disqualification, A6 could not legally replace him as the designated free thrower despite the fact that he did actually substitute for him (and even became a legal player in (b) per 3-3-3).