View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 10:04am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by FrankHtown
Julie, I realize on a forum like this it's easy to say "yeah, let's toss the coach" but in real time, tossing the coach is the "death sentence"

Will tossing the coach make the game better? or just make you feel better? Does the coach have a valid point that the crew is ignoring? Like an opposing point guard consistantly palming the ball and getting past their defenders? Is the opposing team "boxing out" by taking her players into the second row of bleachers? Are we letting the messenger get in the way of the message?

With all due respect, Frank, that is pile of complete and utter doo-doo imo.

"Death sentence"? Give me a break. We just REACT- the coach is the one doing the dirty, not us.

That "will it make the game better?" nonsense imo usually comes from officials who are trying to make excuses for not calling a "T". Every year, the FED has to make sportsmanship a POE, and it's usually because a bunch of officials that don't have the testicular fortitude to take care of bidness. It's not a matter of the game being "better"; these clowns are acting in an unsporting manner and getting clean away with it. Imo, that makes the game worse.

If the coach deserves a "T", then damn well give 'em one. If you think that you shoulda "T"ed a coach, then you suresheck shoulda. I see descriptions above like "whining", "chipping", "complaining", and nothing got called. I see a coach directly questioning our fellow officials' integrity and nothing got called. I see coaches who have been seat-belted still up wandering around and nothing got called. I see assistant coaches up on the feet bugging the officials and nothing got called. Hey, that's fine. The bottom line is that if you want to put up with the nonsense, then don't whine about it later. Just set your own do-not-cross line and stick to it. That I don't have a problem with.

I apologize for the rant, Frank. Nothing personal but you hit a nerve. That's one of my pet peeves.
My pet peeve is an official who doesn't consider the game AFTER the T/ejection and whether the technical makes things better. It's easy to "react" and whack someone -- it's harder to pick up the pieces sometimes.

Frank's post, I think, was well thought out.