Thread: Ba' Bye
View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 01:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WhatWuzThatBlue
"How can one actually justify running a coach for something said in the parking lot before the game? I could see myself trying to explain my way out of that one. "

The coach walks out to your car and tells you that he is going to file a letter of complaint with your assignor. He calls you the biggest pile of beetle sh-t he's ever seen. He looks at your partner and tells him that you don't belong working t-ball games after the last few games he's seen. He mentions a play you know you kicked and one that he is dead wrong about. It doesn't matter because he is spitting mad and cursing up a storm. He looks at you and says that he wishes you'd pull a "McSherry" right there in front of his team. He walks back to the field and into his dugout. At the plate meeting, he is accompanied by his assistant and team captain. The team captain hands you the line up card and the assistant explains the ground rules. The head coach just stares at you. He never says a word and the other coaches don't have any sense of any animosity. The meeting ends and he walks away with out shaking hands. He goes into the dugout and doesn't say a word. He just stares at you, smiling about that letter he's composing in his head.

Do you still feel you should be better served ignoring it? Sure you could bait him, but what if he doesn't bite? You call him over to discuss a line up card question and he sends the assistant. You ask for more baseballs and he sends the kid on the bench. He keeps both feet in the coachs' box and never says a peep to or at you. If you pull the trigger at anytime after it starts it makes you look like a newbie with a hardon for the guy. Explaining your actions at the plate meeting is a lot easier than baiting him and having two coaches think you're clueless.

Like I said before, I wasn't there and don't know the history, but if he felt it necessary to dump the chump, he was correct. My trigger is pretty well guarded, but if my buttons get pushed...
That's an easy one! Quick phone call to the assigner explaining the situation and fact that the coach will be ejetected the moment the umpires enter the field (In some areas or levels we just go to the site admin before the game & handle it there).

The attack was personal - no way it get's by.

That being said I have baited coaches / managers to KEEP them in the game. Get 'm out by 2B, let them vent, smile & ask if he feels better now. (I come from the OLD school. Perhaps not as old as T but old in any case).