View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 28, 2005, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by MPLAHE
Had this situation a few weeks back:

Fast break/ breakaway situation. A1 going in for a lay-up on the right side of the basket and puts the ball high up on the glass. As the ball hits the glass, B1 comes in for the block and slaps the backboard, but does not hit the ball. The ball did not go in. I was the T and was a few steps in the frontcourt and passed on the call. Coach A goes nuts, calling for basket interference.

At the next dead ball, the coach is screaming for an explanation to my partner. My partner told him it wasn’t his call. I came over and said, in my opinion there was no basket interference.

After the game, my partner told me I blew it (not very diplomatically BTW). He said it should have been called BI. I was not completely comfortable that I had it right so all I said was I thought it wasn’t since the ball was not on the rim and there was no contact with the ball.

I went back and researched it and wanted to make sure my interpretation is correct. I believe now, based on the rule, I had two options – no calling it, which I did, or calling a technical if, in my opinion, he deliberately slapped the backboard. My interpretation of the rule is that touching the rim, net or backboard does not necessitate a BI call unless the ball is touching the rim. Also, B1 never touched the ball so that was not an option either. Am I correct?
I don't need to call BI or GT very often (sixth grade girls don't have a lot of play above the rim!), but this principle I do know: If all the player did was slap the backboard, you've got a T or nothing. For the rest of your questions, I'll cede the floor to the gentleman from Nevada.