Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by truerookie
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by truerookie
Being a second year official, I take the following approach. Do not give me advise unless you have an evaluation form in your hand. Why do I say this? A person cannot remember everything and most focus on the bad. You may come to me discussing your pet peeves. The form which will have comments written on it shows the person being evaluated the area where work in most needed. The comments will displaying genuine concern about the job being done.

I approach officiating like a job. I cannot improve my work unless, I have some paperwork where I can go reference to stay the course.
Wow!

All I can say is you're gonna be very happy person then because I don't think too many officials will be going out of their way to try to help you again after the first time you come at 'em with that one. I know I'd tell ya Sayonara.

[/B]
I am not looking for any misunderstandings here. All, I am saying if you can find the time to make any comments make it worthwhile by have an evaluation form with you. [/B][/QUOTE]

Rook, We are trying to help you understand how officiating works. Since you are in your 2nd year, you have not mastered the art of officiating. I am pretty sure that you haven't grasped all the aspects of game management, consistency, advantage/disadvantage, just to name a few. However, if you have this down pat, let me be the first one to apologize to you.

Maybe you should be the one who carries a pen & pad with you to games, so if someone wishes to give you some knowledge about the game of basketball, you will be ready and taking notes. Its not fair for you to put the onus on an official trying to give you some insight! Alot of what you will learn will not be written anywhere.

While we may never meet, no one wants you to be black-balled in your 2nd year. That could make for a short career or a lonely one. There are a lot of us on this forum who work full varsity schedules and are also on the college circuit. At the college level we are evaluated on a nightly basis. None of my evaluators or observers at the college level have given us a written evaluation to take home and study.

Sometimes it is a lot easier for an official to tell you a couple of things to work on rather than giving you a complete evaluation.

By the way I am also a VETERAN and it has nothing to do with officiating!