Thread: Illegal shirt?
View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 25, 2005, 10:38pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Varsity head coach comes to you during the JV game. Here's his tale of woe. "One of our players forgot his game jersey. There's no way that we're going to get it for the game. We'd like him to wear a JV jersey, but the JV jerseys are purple and the Varsity jerseys are black. So he'll be wearing a different color. Can he wear it if we take a T for it?"

This was shared with me over pizza and Diet Cokes last night. What would you do? Allow him to buy his way into the game with a T? Or not allow the jersey at all?

If it matters to your decision, the home team's Varsity jerseys were white. He's definitely going to play and he can't borrow one from a bench-warmer b/c they have a short bench and everyone is going to play.

This was a HS game, btw. If the answer is different for NCAA, I'd be interested to hear that, too.

Chuck:

I don't have the time to research an NCAA answer for you right now, but I would be inclined to tell the Coach V that the player's jersey looked good to me. The intent of the rule is to keep a team from deceiving its opponent. I cannot see how Team V would be deceivng its opponent in this situation.

Merry Christmas!

MTD, Sr.
Wow! Mark must be mellowing in his old age!

Tis the Season to be Mary (Struckhoff) , oops, I mean Merry. Merry Christmas!

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio