View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 25, 2005, 12:02am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by truerookie

Being a second year official, I take the following approach. Do not give me advise unless you have an evaluation form in your hand. Why do I say this? A person cannot remember everything and most focus on the bad. You may come to me discussing your pet peeves. The form which will have comments written on it shows the person being evaluated the area where work in most needed. The comments will displaying genuine concern about the job being done.
The problem with what you are saying is the fact that is not going to happen in the real world. It might be a pet peeve of yours, but it is not something most officials are going to do. One reason is I might not have even brought something like that to a game. If I am working a game behind you, I am not coming to the game to evaluate you as an official. I might not have any time to see much of your game at all. Also, most of the points I will give you will be one or two things. I am not going to give you a laundry list of thing unless I know you very well or I was at the game just to evaluate you. Remember in most situations that veteran officials are going to see newer officials are when we are doing a game too. We have to get ourselves ready for that game and looking at a newer official is not something that is the priority. Many times when I am in the stands watching an official, I might be with my partners and we are talking about our game and things we might need to worry about. I will admit that I am not always paying that close of attention to the officials unless I know the official personally.

Quote:
Originally posted by truerookie
I approach officiating like a job. I cannot improve my work unless, I have some paperwork where I can go reference to stay the course.
I approach officiating as a job as well. I also know that not all advice is going to be in writing. I would not want to miss out on advice just because someone did not write it down. I know when I go to camps many things are never written down. You listen to the clinician and you move on.

Peace