View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 24, 2005, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrs_schuster
Ok, I'm a second year ref, and by no means anywhere near the professional I am striving to be. The question I am having you answer is: at halftime, I will usually ask the Varsity officials about my first half and if theres anything I can improve on. Thats on the occasion that when I meet the Varsity officials and their personable and easy to talk to. Then theres the other situation when I'm quite and trying to reflect on my first half. Then I hear GOOD FIRST HALF... BUT!!! Why is there always 1 Varsity official who thinks hes the next to go into the NBA and can talk to me like I'm an idiot and question my calls down to the littlest thing. Am I being to forward to say I would like to get info when I ask for it, Or just bite the bullet and take the tongue-lashing?
Being a second year official, I take the following approach. Do not give me advise unless you have an evaluation form in your hand. Why do I say this? A person cannot remember everything and most focus on the bad. You may come to me discussing your pet peeves. The form which will have comments written on it shows the person being evaluated the area where work in most needed. The comments will displaying genuine concern about the job being done.

I approach officiating like a job. I cannot improve my work unless, I have some paperwork where I can go reference to stay the course.