Thread: Score the run?
View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 23, 2005, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by D-Man
I would hope that I'd put a body between me and anyone coming in the dirt circle. In your situation, I'd have to make a judgment on who seemed most zealous. A classic lose/lose. Although, the double whammy of players in the circle AND a miss of the base....

They're not gonna learn if you don't make that call. You are making it tougher for the rest of us. Can't honestly say in the heat of the moment, I wouldn't do the same.

D
Here is the issue. On a written test, we have a 3rd out on appeal. In reality, the HR ended the game. Did the home team, which 'won" when the batter battled and hit the grand slam, gain an advantage not intended by the rules? Did the rule makers intend for this situation to be appealed?

Carl earlier started a thread about fair v. good. I think the team who hits the game-winning grand slam should win. Our job is not so black and white. We need to make judgements all the time on the intent of the rule. If you are going to call this out and continue the game, you better be repared to NOT give any discretion on the neighborhood play at second.