Thread: Score the run?
View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 23, 2005, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

I like to throw this story around every few years to get some thoughts. Many here will not have heard this story.

September 20, 1997, I have the plate for game 7 of the top Men's league in our area. The winner goes to the National Championships (the next season). Great game, tied at 3 after nine innings.

Into the bottom of the 11th, bases loaded, 2 outs and yes, a full count. Batter hits a mammoth Grand Slam to win the game.....but it's not THAT easy.

The one lesson I take from this is to ensure you keep the plate area clear.

Runner from 3rd base is running home, jumping up and down. As he reaches the plate, he jumps into the waiting arms of his fellow players. One guy finally drops him. You guessed it, the runer never touched the plate. He was dropped " a few inches" from the plate. He MAY have touched it, but there are so many players there, who knows? Well, the rest of the players circle the bases and by the time the batter gets to the plate, there are lots of people on the field.

By this time, I and my partners are already at the gate heading for the beer.

Not so fast. The visiting coach is screaming for an appeal. I keep walking. The beer tasted great.

So, what would YOU have done? And WHY?

For my money, I don't give a rat's *** if R3 missed the plate by a few inches. First, it is my fault for not keeping the area clear.

Secondly, if you give up a game-winning grand slam, walk off the field and congratulate your opponents.

Thoughts? This has always sparked an interesting debate.

For the record, the official response at the time was "Ian, I couldn't tell if he missed it with all of those players around."

Blaine