Thread: Just read.....
View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 23, 2005, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

You talk about life lessons, and then you DEMONSTRATE open disrespect for authority? You just taught those kids that it's better to play by your own rules. You just taught those kids that any rule you don't agree with can be cast aside for no better reason than because you don't agree with it. And you've just taught those (mis)lessons to a group of impressionable kids who will remember your lesson for a long, long time. A group of kids, by the way, who don't yet have the maturity and philosophical framework to understand the subtle difference between "not insisting the other guy be penalized for his mistake" and "refusing to obey the laws of a civilized society."

Point taken....who know's maybe it was wrong on my part? This was in an equal playing time, Rec League for 9-12 Graders. The Lesson I would have hoped to get across was that of having some respect for your opponent and the Game. You can't have a Game....without an opponent. And I just couldn't see (in that situation) ending a truly great game against a great opponent in that chessey a manner. I did it in a very cooperative manner with the other Coach and at no time dis-respected the Ref. When I Coach, I almost never say anything to a Ref except "Thanks" after the end of the game.