Thread: Just read.....
View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 23, 2005, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Nu1 - You make a good point - I'm probably nuts.

My anology: I was thinking about our former President that didn't consider it adultry because of what the "formal" definition of sex is.

What I see in Society in this theme that Winning is OK....as long as you Win. How you do it doesn't matter much?
That's what I'm trying to get at.

I think most people equate Winning with Finacial Success.

Our media celebrates characters like Snoop, Britney Spears, Donald Trump, Barry Sheck, TO.....as long as you have big $$$$ you're a success. I think this message just poisons kids.

I grew up in Massachusetts. All his old players love Red Auerbach. The guy is a God around here. I give him credit for not being a racist when many NBA Teams had a quota. And, I understand he was fair and a good manager of people. But personally, I always felt that the guy was terrible. He had to be the worst sportsman on earth. What kind of a jerk lights a cigar just before winning? He wasn't blocking those shots.....it was Russell. Plus, his Ref baiting was just awful. You take classy competitors like Oscar Robinson, Jerry West, Hal Greer and Wilt....did they deserve that?

Then a truly classy man like KC Jones loses his Coaching Job because he's viewed as not being assertive enough?

Our Society venerates behavior like that and then we whine about Youth Coaches that think they SHOULD behave like Red.

To me, the purest games that I ever played were in the Parks. We brought our best 5 and met their best 5. Nobody taunted because if you did.....you'd be picking up your teeth. You called your own fouls. No parents. No Coaches. A few fans. When the game was done...it was so much fun, you played again. You liked the playing more than caring about who won a particular game.

That experience is just about dead in this country. Kids don't play unless their parents drive them to a gym to be Coached by a guy that thinks Red Auerbach was a role model.