View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 11:09pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
Originally posted by vawils
End of game situation (last minute) in a close game. B scores and A coach signals time out. I whistle and signal the time out but as I go towards the scorekeeper he claims he doesn't want a time out after the clock has been stopped. He then proceeds to try to substitute players. B players already huddling at their bench with their coach. I call them all back on the court but since the clock has now stopped the substitutes were allowed in. B also substitutes. Know we probably didn't handle this great and think the coach was just playing games to get his subs in. But once the clock is stopped we had to restart with a throw - in. Any thoughts on how this should have been handled differently. Charge A with a time out even when coach says doesn't want one?? Could've handled as an inadvertent whistle - can teams sub then?

NFHS Rules: Coach A requested a timeout and it was granted. Team A cannot shorten the timeout unless Team B is also ready to shorten the timeout. Once Team A is granted a timeout, Team B can use the entire timeout.

NCAA Rules: There are two possible scenarios. 1) Team A requests and is granted a full (for example) timeout. After thirty seconds Team A is ready to play. Team A's Captain notifies the officials that his team is ready to play. The officials signals the Timer to sound the warning horn and fifteen seconds later the ball is put back into play. 2) Team A requests a thirty second timeout soley for the purpose of putting subsititues into the game. As soon as the substitution has been effected the ball is put back into play.

MTD, Sr.
In either situation, the requesting team is still charged with a timeout.

Mark:

Isn't that what I said?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio