Thread: new rule
View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Me, overthink things? Never happens

Actually, I think somebody will probably be by shortly to point out that the foot on the line merely denies legal guarding position, the play can still be a charge. But that's beside the point.
Actually, I'm thinking that is a good point. The player is OOB, even using my made-up criteria of being under control. But's it not listed as a violation, it's just a situation where there is no LGP. How come?

Quote:
If we wanted to assign some kind of score based on these criteria, 1 to 3 here's how I think it would turn out.

Voluntary
Saving the ball - 1
The screen - 2
The pass - 3

Under-control
Saving the ball - 1
The pass - 2
The screen -3

Total that up and you get
Saving the ball - 2
The screen - 5
The pass - 5
Can we give bonus points, or deduct points based on the coach's rules knowledge so far in the game?

Ok, maybe my "under control" criteria doesn't quite fit. I could be over-thinking how to explain it. Perhaps another way is to think in terms of advantage/disadvantage for the player OOB. The player falling OOB to pass the ball to a teammate (maybe saving it in the process), is not in an advantageous position anymore until they get back in. However, someone who uses OOB territory to wipe off a defender around a screen is gaining an obvious advantage. And, the advantage is gained by being OOB, not ending up there.

Quote:
Hmmmm. Now where did I put that aspirin?
Don't forget to save some for the rest of us. But do wash it down with some good egg nog.

(Used with permission.)