Thread: new rule
View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
Ok BITS, I cringed a little when I asked the question, because I knew where you were going. But I think you might be over-thinking this a little. In the original play, and most of the variations, the actual "play" is legal, as per the rule that states the status of the ball and player are where they were when they last touched. The resulting action (momentum) takes the player OOB. There is no difference between the player falling OOB to save the ball and the player making the pass; both know they are going OOB, deliberately. In fact, aren't both players making a pass? You have just added requirements about intent vs. "an accepted, time-honored part of the game". I didn't see that distinction made in the rule book, case book, or any of the comments made by the NF. The only play specifically mentioned was the player going around a screen OOB. This example is a completely voluntary, under-control move. Also, the NF didn't expand on the play regarding the defense standing with one foot OOB; it didn't become an immediate violation, but it has been left with the ruling that if there's contact it cannot be a charge.

So until we get more examples of the Fed's intent, I will be content to just call the examples as mentioned in the rules, casebook, and comments. Let's not try to over-think things. I know when I do, I get a headache!
Me, overthink things? Never happens

Actually, I think somebody will probably be by shortly to point out that the foot on the line merely denies legal guarding position, the play can still be a charge. But that's beside the point.

I see your point about both plays being passes. I hadn't thought about it that way.

As long as I'm overthinking this pig, let's use the criteria you mention: "completely voluntary, under-control move." And let's throw in all three plays: saving the ball, making the pass and going around the screen. It seems to me that they are part of a continuum rather than discreet categories.

Saving a ball is least voluntary, most reactionary. The screen play is certainly voluntary, but has an element of reaction to it too. The play wasn't designed to send him oob, circumstances conspired to make it the best option to complete the play. The pass is the most voluntary. The passer has complete freedom to choose if he will do it, where he will do it and when he will do it. He can chose to pull back and initiate a different play entirely.

BTW, the pass is the only one of the three plays that's designed to go out of bounds.

Under control is an interesting criteria. I think we can agree that saving the ball is the least under-control. The saver is at the mercy of where the ball is heading, and once he leaves the ground he cannot control his motion. Running around the screen is a pretty under-control move. You've got your feet on the ground and can turn, cut, stop. The Passer, however, is in the middle. True, he cannot control his motion much once he leaves the ground, but he can choose when, where and if to jump, which gives him a large measure of control.

If we wanted to assign some kind of score based on these criteria, 1 to 3 here's how I think it would turn out.

Voluntary
Saving the ball - 1
The screen - 2
The pass - 3

Under-control
Saving the ball - 1
The pass - 2
The screen -3

Total that up and you get
Saving the ball - 2
The screen - 5
The pass - 5

Hmmmm. Now where did I put that aspirin?