View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Quote:
Originally posted by Blind & lovin' it
just a little defense for the new coach - I'm only three years out of college and have a friend that was given freshman coaching duties in his first week at his first teaching job. (this was football - but you get the idea)He's now a third year teacher and is head track, jv football, and assistant baseball coaching. When there isn't any body lining up for jobs it can fall to the some pretty fresh faced individuals, and they're likely working for a pretty small pile of nickels.
If they are so "new/ fresh faces", why would they want to spend so much time contesting the officials? Seems that this time would be better spent learning their new trade and coaching their kids.
It's because they are not mentored. Coaches receive very little direction from above and they might not have very good role models in that school district. And you can bet that they don't sit coaches down and go over the rules with them. In our state the head coach must take the Fed rules test (don't have to pass it) but the assistants don't have to take it. I wish they all did and had to have a passing score. I find assistant coaches to be a bigger problem in many cases than the head coach. I think athletic directors and principals need to address this area of coach behavior. I figure that the coach who spends more time officiating than teaching/coaching is cheating his kids out of quality time spent on the game.

The emphasis on winning vs. teaching , particularly at the lower levels, is a concern. (See my thread on calling the game.)