View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Question

I'll know better next time. This was one of those "things to learn from".

8th Grade boys. Two well coached teams. Good athletes on both sides. Looked as good as many JV teams I've seen lately.

The first game (7th grade) was physical and closely contested. Came down to last second and visitors won. There were 4 player control fouls, to give you an idea of the intensity of the game, and we know how those calls get the crowd up.

The 8th grade game was played much the same way, but the visitors were able to get the game in hand by midway through the 4th period.

With 1:30 left in game. I was new lead, on the baseline near 2 A's and 2 B's. The other six were across midcourt for a sideline throw in.

As ball is handed A1, B34 shoves A2 from behind, right in front of me. It was a pretty good shove, and I could see the frustration in his face. It wasn't a play for position, just an accumulation of the days emotions getting the better of him.

I whistle the foul, determine it to have been flagrant, and inform the coach and table what we have. Meanwhile, partner is moving everyone to the opposite side to administer the free throws, not clearing the lane.

Now we have a problem. I confer with partner, a veteran, to make sure he knows I had a flagrant foul. He says, yes, we're OK, and reminds me we're in the bonus. As shooter gets the ball, I still don't feel right. Free throw goes in as the timer buzzes horn and waves me over to table.

Shoot two and get ball on sideline? Intentional Foul?, I'm asked. I said, we do not have a technical foul nor an intentional foul, but a flagrant foul. We shoot the 1 and 1.

Checking rule book after the game, I see we blew it.

Two questions remain for me. Did I make the proper call as a flagrant foul? Did everyone in the gym know we screwed up the free throw situation?

I'll let you all get started, and answer questions as we go.