Thread: new rule
View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ATXCoach
When coaching my team to trap the dribbler on the sideline, I and almost every other coach I have ever known tells their player to put a foot out of bounds so that the dribbler can't get by. The defender has 75% or more of their body over the court, but does have a foot on the line.

Is this now a violation on the defense that officials are looking to call? Please explain why or why not so I may better understand the intent?
No. The comments on this rule made it explicitly clear that this is not to apply. The casebook play covering this exact situation declares this a block (that is another debate). Given that it is a block, it can't possibly be a violation since the block can only occur if the ball remains live after the defender steps on the line.
Quote:
Originally posted by ATXCoach

If it is not a violation on the defense, would it be a violation on the dribbler who jumped from inbounds to out-of-bounds to avoid contact and passed in the air - and then immediately returned to the court?
I think you could have an aruguent for the dribbler purposefully leaping OOB even though they no longer had control of the ball when they land. I'd ask what authorized reason they have for being OOB.