|
|-------------
|
|
|
|
| A2
-----------------------------

the new rule going out of bounds to gain an advantage--violation. I had this play 4-5 times tithin the last two-three years. A1 dribbles to the baseline jumps at the baseline and is he/she above the out of bounds betond the endline.. A1 has not touched out of bounds yet.. A1 passes the ball to A2 for a three point try. Usually this happens in the latter part of the game.

the intent of the rule is to keep the players between the endlines and sidelines to play the game. So if A1 is guarded and B1 steps out of bounds to stop the pass, Has B1 violated?? If B1 does not follow A1, did A1 gain an advantage to pass the ball to A2 using the out of bounds as wauy to pass the ball??

I asked our interpreter, he said that he believes that it is legal since A1 status is still in bounds. I asked the state interpreter and another interpreter...they both agreed that the intent of the rule is to keep the players from intentionally gaining an advantage with the out of bounds. If B1 stepped out of bounds to defend A1, B1 violated - A's ball at the point of the violation. If A1 gained the advantage since B1 is not allowed to go out of bounds without violating, then A1 could be gaining an advantage not expicitily stated. The state interpreter is finding out the ruling and has not got back to me. Any thoughts???

P.S. A coach in the local area asked me if it would be legal for him to do this play. I told him that I would let him know.