View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by Chess Ref
I have read the threads concerning dead ball fouls need to be Int, flagrant or lignored. Until it happened in my game it was more a theory than something that could occur. It occurred.

Player A makes his free-throw. As they start going the other way Player B gives a forearm push to Player A2. The ball was not at the disposal of Team B yet. I tweet . I report a foul, no one says anything. Games goes on. I am pretty sure I got this one wrong.
Yes, you did.

Quote:
1. Am I correct in that this foul falls under the Int, flagrant or let it go Sitch ?
Yes -- but there's one other option ...

2. Assuming this foul falls under the INt, Flag, or let it go thingie I really don't like that there is no middle ground. If this occurred in a live ball Sitch i would call a foul but not an INT. So any thoughts on why it has to be called an INt or ignored ? I am looking for reasons behing this rule.

[/B][/QUOTE]

A "common" (I don't necessarily mean the rule book definiition here) foul is a foul that hinders normal offensive or defensive maneuvers. When the ball is dead, there aren't any maneuvers to interfere with. So, no "common" fouls.

You could, and I have in similar situations, stop the ball from becomming live, and talk to the player(s) involved. A stern, "knock it off" or "just play ball" works well. It lets the player(s) know that you saw what happened and are going to keep looking for it.

[/B][/QUOTE]

I agree. I even used it last night in the first quarter. Two guys were bumping each other with their shoulders as they were crossing half court and elbows were starting to get higher. Not real hard, but just testing each other and quite possibly trying to get a foul against a better player with the idea of that player eventually fouling out. I stopped play and told both players "that is the end of that stuff, you are better players than that."

It also depends on game status, if it is late in the game, and if it is more severe, call it how you see it, but I don't suggest ignoring it.