View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chess Ref
I have read the threads concerning dead ball fouls need to be Int, flagrant or lignored. Until it happened in my game it was more a theory than something that could occur. It occurred.

Player A makes his free-throw. As they start going the other way Player B gives a forearm push to Player A2. The ball was not at the disposal of Team B yet. I tweet . I report a foul, no one says anything. Games goes on. I am pretty sure I got this one wrong.
Yes, you did.

Quote:
1. Am I correct in that this foul falls under the Int, flagrant or let it go Sitch ?
Yes -- but there's one other option ...

[/b][/quote]2. Assuming this foul falls under the INt, Flag, or let it go thingie I really don't like that there is no middle ground. If this occurred in a live ball Sitch i would call a foul but not an INT. So any thoughts on why it has to be called an INt or ignored ? I am looking for reasons behing this rule.

[/B][/QUOTE]

A "common" (I don't necessarily mean the rule book definiition here) foul is a foul that hinders normal offensive or defensive maneuvers. When the ball is dead, there aren't any maneuvers to interfere with. So, no "common" fouls.

You could, and I have in similar situations, stop the ball from becomming live, and talk to the player(s) involved. A stern, "knock it off" or "just play ball" works well. It lets the player(s) know that you saw what happened and are going to keep looking for it.