View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Quote:
Originally posted by refTN
Personally, I like the way they rotate because they move at an accelerated pace where as most college officials when they roatate just walk across the lane not caring if they rotate or beat the play.
I disagree.

NBA officials are very good, there's no doubt about it. However, a new official can learn things he'll have to un-learn as he moves up to high school ball if he's not aware of the mechanics differences. So watch them, especially how they handle themselves. But be aware that not everything they do should be emulated at lower levels.

As for rotating, the college officials I've talked to and the camps I've attended teach walking across the key. You should rotate early enough that you don't need to run to beat the ball. Plus, you should be officiating as you go, and that's easier to do if you are walking briskly rather than running. The NBA system may teach a different philosophy, and keep in mind that it's an altogether different level of ball, but it's unfair to say that college officials walk because they don't care. They walk because their bosses tell them to and my observation has been that they rarely get beat.
What i meant by saying they don't care is that it looks like they move as if they don't care. I see alot of times in the NCAA when a ball is in the post and the L either doesn't rotate at all and leaves it to the C to have what is known in my area as the "lone ranger" play, or rotates without an accelerated pace and is too late to see the start, develop, and finish of a play which I feel causes a lot of missed plays. I guess you can say I am biased as well, Cause that is where I want to be so that is why I watch them more than anybody, but at the same time there are things you can bring with you to a high school game from the NBA and there things you can't, same with college and the NBA. I say the college and the NBA, but when the SEC conference was under Guthrie almost everything was done like the NBA.