View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

A slight intersting situation developed in one of my games last week. And another thread here piqued my memory.

Had an in-bounds about to occur. Kids comes back to "set a pick." Well, as we have all probably seen, the pick becomes arm placement into his abdomen and pushing the defender about 10 feet backwards.

I call the foul. We're in the bonus. I report and head to the other end to shoot free throws. My JV partner questions whether we should be shooting. I say "Yes. There is no Team Control during a throw-in. So we shoot. Had you even given him the ball yet?" (I'm not sure why I asked that last question it really has nothing to do with the situation - only shows that the ball had not been inbounded to someone on the court to establish Team Control)

The coach sees this little discussion and so he questions whether we should be shooting. I repeat my answer and say "So, yes, we shoot free throws." He asks me the same question again. I say "Yes." "Are you certain?" I say "Yes." He asks me again. I say "Absolutely!" and leave.

On further review of the situation, I formulated a more exciting response (one I'm glad I didn't give.) I would have liked to been quick witted enough to have said, "Look you Butthead. You are unwilling to spend the time yourself to learn the rules. Yet you are willing to stop a game and question my rules knowledge, repeatedly, in front of 500 fans creating a situation that makes me look the dummy. When really it is your laziness to learn the rules and apparently your inability to hear - because you have asked me the same question 4 times and I've given you the same answer 4 times, and yet here we are with me looking stupid as if pleading my case, as I expain some arcane technicality to you, seemingly justifying our next (likely judged by everyone else to be improper) action of shooting free throws." I guess it pays to be slow and dim-witted.

Given that many of you on this forum are not dim-witted and slow, how do you respond to coaches that have not learned the rules yet because of their position as coach they feel compelled to question your rules knowledge (infront of the fans/players/administrators)?

[Edited by DownTownTonyBrown on Dec 20th, 2005 at 02:26 PM]