View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
In my basketball scenario, if we let the winning player take off his jersey (because, after all, it was in jubilation and in no way taunting or showing disrespect), what do we say to the losing coach who asks why we don't penalize it?
Personally, I would already be gone. Letting the players celebrate they way they want to celebrate.

But if I wasn't, then perhaps the call would need to be made.

By discretion... I mean things like: the coach is in his box coaching, however, his toes are on the floor. THAT'S A Technical Foul! Maybe the players jump onto the floor when the winning shot is made before the clock hits zero. THAT'S a Technical Foul! Maybe the coach is staring you down as you make your report to the table. That could be a Technical Foul for the Overly Officious. Proper discretion would be NO CALL for all of these situations.

Nobody can legally fault you for following/imposing the rules. But you can also miss out on: being promoted to the next level; gaining the respect of the coaches, fans, players; quietly getting out of the gym with an intact body and automobile.

Often the best call is a NO CALL - and from the information I have about the wrestling match, a no call probably would have been the better choice.