View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 03:37am
Official Forum Member

Re: honesty and integrity

Quote:
Originally posted by iref4him
But when you are asked for the truth, you either lie or ignore the truth. I stuck with my partner's decision. I told the coach the truth about my partner's decision - right, wrong, or indifferent.
I believe you have fallen prey to a false dichotomy. You seem to indicate that you believed you had two choices: lie or sell your partner out. This is simply untrue. There are better ways to handle this situation. And given your screen name, I'm going to use a rather unorthodox (at least for this setting) example.

Think about the New Testament story of the woman taken in adultery. This woman obviously made a bad judgement call. The Pharisees, like the coach, observed this bad call and very vocally took up the issue with Jesus, the impartial arbiter with whom they had an adversarial relationship. Trying to work this official, they posed a very direct question, to which there was no good direct answer, fully intending to use his answer to their advantage. But our wiley veteran was wiser than to get sucked into that trap. His immediate answer was not to answer at all. That's not a bad strategy; if no good can come of having a conversation, then don't have it. When pressed further, he defused the situation in a way that neither condemned nor condoned the one who blew the call, and that, though they did not get their way, the coaches were able to live with. That, my friend, is game management.