View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 18, 2001, 01:32pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
How about a page that addresses all of the myths that fans believe are actually rules?
There's not that many trees in the whole world to make enought paper to print that.

Just yesterday, my son and I were doing an 8th grade boys rec game. Another ref, Juulie (Rainmaker) came early for her shift and was sitting next to the scorer. At a timeout, she mentioned to me that an "expert" in the stands had already yelled for "over the back", "3 seconds (on shots being taken) and "reaching". We decided to keep track of how many cliches he would come up with. Each time he did, I would yell at her to add it to the list.

He wound up with the three mentioned above, plus "over and back" on a throwin, "traveling" on a play where a player slid to get control of a loose ball, "he can't do that" on, I think, a player going OOB and then being first to touch (it was legal in this situation) and my personal favorite - "he's hopping" on a jump stop.

I should mention that he used the over the back, the reach and the 3 seconds numerous times.

I also had an assistant coach insist it was a foul if a defender slapped a ball handler's hand while he was holding the ball. Oh yeah, it was even worse if he "reached" in from the side. I guess he wanted two fouls for that.

Rec leagues are cool.