View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by JCrow
I admit my calling "disconcertion" on the kid with a glass eye started the whole mess but I distinctly saw him fussing with his eye socket prior to the eye hitting the floor. I thought it was premeditated eye removal.

I learned after the fact that his Coach regularly uses this as a ploy in tight games. I feel really bad as this highly unsportsmanlike tatic worked PERFECTLY and through a series of unfortunate events won the game for the Glass Eye Team.

Sounds like we need to petition the NFHS for a rule change. It's now a technical foul if you remove your pants or shirt within the visual confines of the playing area. They should make removing an eye in the visual confines a technical foul too. Or, if the officials hesitate to call that a "T", you could make it a violation instead- something like "A player shall not have an eye out for an unauthorized reason".
We'll need some case book plays to clarify the new rule imo. For instance:

A1, who has a glass eye, sets a screen for A2. As A1 then rolls to the basket his glass eye falls out, freeing him from defender B1 who slips on the glass eye. Undefended A1 recieves A2's pass and makes an easy layup. In this play a) the glass eye accidentally fell out b) A1 plucked the eye out on his own volition c) A2 smacked the back of A1's head causing the eye to fall out d) coach A rolled a handful of marbles across the floor in an effort to decieve.

Your rulings please.