Thread: 10 Second Rule
View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 18, 2005, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
10 second count is re-set when a team gains control, i.e. after a throw in.

The count would be re-set in this situation.

If he was my partner I would've let him walk.

Now on another note, in a game, the only status that matters is referee/umpire. The fact that you're head referee of the gym means nothing. The referee's job is to toss up the ball and to rule on things not covered in the book. Now aside from that both officials are on equal footing.

Just out of curiosity, who was responsible for the 10-second count in that play? (i.e. who was the trail?)
Thanks for the response. Good point on the part about head referee comment I made. I agree with you, it does mean nothing.

In this game I happened to be the referee, and my partner was the umpire. On the play, I was the lead official, and he was the trail. That is why he was telling me 9.5 seconds had gone by on the 10 second half court count.

Since this "rule" isn�t word for word in the rule book, is my interpretation about there bring a continuous 10 seconds for there to be a violation correct: any stoppage of play whatsoever restarts the 10 second back court count?

(On a side note� Worst case scenario if I have this partner again: Team A gets across half court in 7 seconds. They have the ball in the key, but on a pass the ball is deflected OOB. On the ensuing inbound, they pass the ball in to one of their players in the backcourt. According to my partner's interpretation they would have 3 seconds. I can just imagine him trying to explain the 10 second violation call to the uproar...)